Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Television Guilty Pleasures

Season 5 of Project Runway is underway, and I have to say at first, ick. Wasn't happy. Wasn't impressed. This week changed my mind.

One of the designers, Leanne, was in the bottom two last week. This week - my personal opinion - she should have won the challenge. I would venture to say the judges tossed a coin to pick the winner. The skirt she created for her challenge was extraordinary. I would buy it tomorrow.

The winner, Kenley, designed something out of my 1980s closet, but there was something whimsical about it (see the picture below Leanne's design). So, while I don't blame the judges for picking it, the workmanship on Leanne's skirt - the scalloping - was just exquisite.


What I love about Project Runway is that it's like looking at living art. It's just amazing the talent they find each year. I'm getting over my gripe that some of these folks have been doing this for quite some time.

What makes me nuts this season: Suede. Suede is one of the designers, and don't get me wrong - he's got talent. But...

He talks about himself in the third person. As in "Suede likes what Suede did. Suede thinks Suede rocked this challenge out. Suede likes his model and Suede would never give her up."

Cheryl wants to throttle Suede. That's all Cheryl is saying.

My other guilty pleasure: Wipeout. Wipeout is a game show where people try to conquer ridiculous obstacle courses for $50,000. It's not so much what they do - it's what the commentators say about their efforts. I was at the gym last week when it was on, and I damn near fell off the treadmill laughing. One of the contestants was 19, weighed about 90 pounds, and was a self-proclaimed geek. He rocked the qualifying round. The commentator said it wasn't bad...for his first time outside. These guys KILL me! Love it. This game, while completely juvenile (the commentators talk about the 'big red balls' obstacle course with great glee), is a riot!

I totally dig game shows. Not so much reality shows (even though I do watch Project Runway), but I love a good game show. I find myself rooting for all the contestants, because they really put themselves out there. Good for them. I might need to add "Participating in a Game Show" to my goals!

No comments: