Tuesday, July 8, 2008

100 Goals in 100 Weeks

Perhaps you've seen him on television or heard something about the guy that sold his life. I kind of admire Ian Usher. Not only did he pick himself up after having his heart broken, but he allowed himself a do-over. How cool is that?

His original website, ALife4Sale, highlighted his belongings, life, work and friends - all so he could sell his life on eBay, walk out of his house, and start new.

As of June 29th, he's sold his house and furnishings, car, etc. Now what? He decided to set 100 goals for himself.

Check out his new site.

If you had the opportunity for a life do-over, what goals would you set for yourself? I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

Here's my list:
  • Reconnect to the world. I don't know where I went, but I'm ready to return. I want to start inviting family and friends over for things like dinner and movie night and margarita night.
  • Forgive myself. In this process, I've beaten the hell out of myself. I need to say 'enough.' Time to move forward. Not as easy as it looks...
  • Figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I know what I can do. Now I need to figure out what I want to do, and how to do it with some sense of job security.
  • Lose the weight, Tubby. Yeah, yeah. I know. Typical chick thing to say. But, while I really love my curves, my curves have had some lumps in between over the past few years. One of the by-products of the divorce process has been weight loss. I want to keep it up, and lose 40 pounds by the end of the year.
  • Go to the gym. See the above goal...
  • Write a book. Again this won't be a bitter broad story. I have a unique talent. Let's just say I'm a weirdo-whisperer. I don't mean 'weirdo' in a cruel way. I just find it fascinating that complete strangers will walk up to me and just start telling me stuff about their lives. It's never a dull moment, and I love every minute of it. But, before I start forgetting the stories, I want to write them down and share with all of the other weirdo-whisperers out there that they are not alone!
  • Go to Paris. Again. For the first time ever, I got to go to Paris this year. So, in the midst of the divorce nightmare, I went with my sister-in-law and got to see Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, Disneyland Paris, Notre Dame, and stroll down the Champs d'Elysees. I want to go again and make sure the experience really sinks in. Contrary to popular belief, the Parisians could not have been nicer. I can't wait to go back!
  • Bahston is Wicked-Haad Core. I've got to make up for lost time and make some trips to Boston to see my friends from college. I've made a point of seeing them once a year. I hope to do more visits.
  • Make the house my own. There will be color on the walls. None of them white.
  • Splurge and Purge. Ok, I will freely admit one of my favorite hobbies is to shop. I totally dig it. It's a complete rush. I get the greatest pleasure from buying other people gifts. I've decided that, as I purge the things I don't need, I'm going to buy myself gifts. For everything I purge, I will splurge. Now - does this mean I'm going to break the bank? No. It just means if I see a shirt and think it will look good on me, I'm buying it. So there.
  • Vegas, Baby! Never been there, but it looks like a lot of fun!
  • What's the rest of Europe like? I need to, before I die, see Italy, Scotland, England, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and anything else that peaks my interest.
  • Go to a NFL game. In all my years in Philly - the greatest football town in America! - I have not been to a game at the Vet or the Linc. Ever. What's up with that?
  • Meet Oprah. Why not, right?
  • Go skydiving. Anyone who knows me knows I am snort-laughing in my chair right now. It just seems better than saying getting some sleep...

No comments: