Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Room, Interrupted

My poor Dad. He's immersed in making the house my sort of beautiful. I wonder if all the 'pretty' stuff is making him nuts.

I found this beautiful blue-violet color to paint one of the guest bedrooms. It's called Aphrodite. It's the first time ever I've had a wall in the house that isn't painted white. Sure, the living room has a stenciled chair rail, but the primary wall color is white. And now - I have a room that is this magnificent shade of blue. Dad has put up a few strokes of the color, and I already find the room tranquil, warm and friendly. A place you'd want to stay for a while!

In addition, Mom has offered to sew curtains for the room. I found a very pretty fabric. It was on sale to boot! It reminds me of a print I saw on the cover of a Pottery Barn catalog. While the background is a pale shade of lime, there are vibrant colors - blues, violets, reds, greens - that are going to make the window pop.

It's going to be such a transformation from the room that housed all of my husband's computer equipment. It was all white and metal.

Pretty soon it will pop with color and light and texture.

I'll be honest. I wish my soon to be ex could see this room. I really think he would have liked it, despite the floral curtains that are about to cover the windows. In a way, it's such a surreal thing. That was always his room. His office. His.

Now it's mine. When it's done hopefully it will feel like mine. Right now, I feel like I'm walking into a hotel room renovation and admiring what's being done to the place. I'm not even sure what that room will become. Perhaps it will be a home office. Or maybe a guest room. Or maybe a combination home office and gym.

In any case, it will be the first room that welcomes me home. That's such a great feeling.

No comments: