Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fitting into the New Old Name...

I reclaimed my maiden name. My friends have been saying things like "that's so great you've gone back to it! Good for you!" I'm not sure how I feel about it.

How do I explain this?

It’s like rediscovering your skinny jeans in the back of your closet, putting them on, and determining if they fit again. That’s how I feel. I feel like I put my maiden name in the back of the proverbial closet, thinking I’d never wear the name again, because I was a happily married ‘married last name’. Then, when this happened, ‘married last name’ became a series of scarlet letters emblazoned on everything.

It would be different if I had children. It would have been a no-brainer, actually, for me. But, since we didn't have any, I changed my name. Or reclaimed it. Or embraced it. Or whatever.

While I haven’t had the name in such a long time, it’s wonderful and uncomfortable all at once that I have an option other than my married name.

Is that weird? To me, it’s weird. Wonderful, but weird. Because, my maiden name fits...I'm just not quite comfortable with it being comfortable.

No comments: