Sunday, January 18, 2009

Metallica Convert

My first post-illness event was Metallica, and lemme tell ya' what: They were AWESOME! (Photo is courtesy of my Manfriend's friend.)

I just have to say that my last concert was Jimmy Buffett, so this had a little different vibe to it. Manfriend and I went last night, and I didn't know what to expect. Even Machine Head and The Sword, the two opening bands, were quite good. (Update: According to Manfriend, I was delusional. Apparently I only saw Machine Head. My apologies to The Sword...)

They played some good ones (okay, so I know like three songs, and they played two out of three): Enter the Sandman and The Unforgiven. And they played songs from their new album, Death Magnetic, including That Was Just Your Life.

What I found interesting was the gamut of fans. They had people our age (mid 30's), the 20-something set, people in their 40s, and the luxury suite next to us contained parents with their kids aged 8 - 10, who were headbanging along to each of the songs. Of course, since we're in Philly, one of the sections started cheering for the Eagles, and the crowd went nuts.

One of the things we missed was the lead singer bringing out his daughter and having Philly sing Happy Birthday to her.

I love this town!

No comments: