Saturday, January 17, 2009

Graceland Revelation: Thank you, Lisa Marie

No, the revelation is NOT that I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches (seriously - they wondered why Elvis died young?). But Graceland's Lisa Marie Presley, along with a hematologist from my hospital stay, provided some insight into a previous issue that leaves me a little on the speechless side, and a lot on the hopeful side.

As part of the littany of questions I had to answer, a hematologist at the hospital asked me if I had every had any surgeries. I replied that I had had two, due to miscarriages. He replied, "You know, the miscarriages may have been due to a clotting issue you might have."

No, I didn't know that.

Yesterday, my best friend J calls me. I had told her the hematologist story, and then she saw this news:

PHOTO EXCLUSIVE: Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Baby Girls!

I'm like...oookaaay. What does that have to do with me? Then I read it. Here's an excerpt:

"I really wanted these babies," says Presley, 40, who tried for two years to get pregnant before conceiving the twins.

"My blood was too thick and would clot, which caused several miscarriages," she tells PEOPLE. "The moment I took blood thinners, I got pregnant."

I just stared and stared at these two lines in the text. Could this possibly be why I wasn't able to carry to term? While all my blood tests came back and said my blood did not show any signs of hypercoagualative states, this still could be the answer to all of my questions!

As my friend J said, while I went through Hell for a week, nothing but good can continue to come from the experience. I can only hope.

Now, does that mean I'm going to run out and get pregnant right now? Uh, NO. Let me be clear: No. With a side of no. With a T-shirt that says No.

But, what this means is that when I am ready, this might be something I need to consider. I will be on Coumadin for a year, but while it is the blood thinner of choice, it is also not good for developing babies. So, if I would want to get pregnant in the next few years, I may have to re-visit this topic and determine if heparin is the way to go.

No comments: