Sunday, January 17, 2010

Little Mouse, Big City

I've started off the new year not only with Manfriend now being my SCF (super-cute fiance), but also with a new job. After four and a half years at the small consulting company owned and operated by good friends, I said goodbye and started at a rather large company in the city.

I am both excited and anxious about it. I'm excited, because it feels like I am exactly where I should be. The team with whom I will be working has welcomed be warmly, and they are very nice. I'm anxious, because it's in the city. It's a really easy commute, don't get me wrong. The train system is fantastic - especially since I just missed the union strike. But I've been a suburbanite all of my life. The prospect of going to the city every day is a little daunting.

My first day was fine. As luck would have it, as I walked out of the train station, there was a lovely young woman there who was going to the same orientation I was, so we traveled together that day.

The rest of the week I managed to get to the train station on time and to walk to and from my office building without getting lost. The city, for the most part, is quite lovely. There is so much architectural eye candy there, and interspersed there are a lot of fun shops and eateries.

As much as there is the beauty, there are also the harsh realities, which include cold weather, the unfortunate (and sometimes scary) homeless souls seeking shelter where ever they can, and...rats. I saw a big one skitter across a walking path one day and froze dead in my tracks. I'm used to seeing deer. They're prancy and they have cute fluffy tails. Rats...not so much.

No comments: