Sunday, June 14, 2009

Exhaustipated

I'm a little run-down after this week.

For starters, my hot water heater broke. This is after almost a month of trodding down to the basement every three to four days to reset it so I could get hot water. Tuesday night, Manfriend went into the basement to check if there was any water from the torrential downpour we've been experiencing in our area. I heard him bellow, "Cher...I think you better get down here." Never a good sign. I walk down the stairs, and it's like Amazon rain-forest humid. I see water pouring from the overflow of the water heater, and it appears to be raining from my ceiling.

Shit.

There's water dripping from the ceiling, and from all the house wires, too. Time to call Dad.

Manfriend and Dad determined, thankfully, the water dripping from the ceiling was condensation, and not a broken pipe. They dried everything using a leaf blower and shop vacuum, and then instructed me to call my service company. A technician came out and replaced the lower element, and said someone else would return in the morning to replace the upper element and the relief valve.

Wednesday, the technician came and replaced the remaining parts. I was working from home. As he was downstairs fixing things, my internet connectivity went dead. I was not happy, as I was in the middle of a meeting which required me to use netmeeting, a webconferencing tool. After he finished, I asked him if he had touched anything other than the hot water heater. He said no. While happy I would have hot water like normal people do, I was very frustrated my connection could not be restored. Because I looked like hell and refused to go to the client site looking the way I did, I packed everything up and worked at the local supermarket's wi-fi cafe, which is about a mile or so away from my house.

Do you know how difficult it is to facilitate a conference call while someone on the loud speaker is yelling "PICK UP ON AISLE EIGHT?" Side note: Peeps at the grocery store, please - you have a loud speaker. There's no reason to SHOUT!

Thursday morning, I turn on my shower faucet, and guess what? No. Hot. Water. I could feel myself unhinge. I called the service company begging them to get someone out later in the evening. My buddy John talked me off the proverbial ledge, explaining it was most likely a circuit breaker issue. I took the quickest shower in my life (I had lukewarm water.), and got to work early. I tore home after an exhaustive day of meetings, and met up with my Dad. He took a look my basement configuration, went over to the array of switch and fuse boxes, and found the breaker for the hot water. Click. Let the Seraphim sing - HOT WATER! I called the service company and canceled the visit. The cable company technician arrived, and replaced some old splitters, and I had wonderful, glorious internet connectivity again! Woo-hoo!

Friday, I got up at 4:30am for my fitness boot camp session, and the majority of it was running. Yep. Running. My exercise kryptonite. We were to run a two-mile course, and then come back for two to three exercises (push-ups, flutter kicks/crunches, and squats). My running was more run-jog-walk-drag-get yelled at to pick up the pace-run-jog-walk-walk-run the home stretch-collapse. From there, took a FABULOUS hot shower at my house, and then worked from 9am to 11pm.

I crawled into bed on Friday, and swore I would sleep through to Sunday. I slept...and woke up at 7am. *whimper* I couldn't fall back to sleep again, and got up for the day. I returned my client manager's text to hear his feedback and to provide him with any updates I had on the previous day activities, had lunch with a couple of friends, and went to Manfriend's house for dinner and hanging out.

Today will be laundry day, and anything else that comes up. I'm hoping there's a nap somewhere in this day's agenda. :-)

No comments: